Sugarcane juice is better than many artificial energy drinks. Picture courtesy: dirtybirdauthors.blogspot
If, as a child, you have ever visited a sugarcane field or stopped by at a sugarcane juice vendor on the road, you would surely know that having a big glass of fresh sugarcane juice is not just yummy but highly refreshing. But what if we also told you that it is a superfluid that could up your health levels a notch?
Sugarcane can be eaten as is or consumed in the form of juice. Popularly known as ganne ka ras, the juice is not just another drink, but one of the healthiest drinks that you could lay your hands on. Here are a list of health benefits of sugarcane juice that will put a lot of natural and artificial energy drinks to shame.
- Prevents cancer: Sugarcane juice is alkaline in nature because of the high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese, which helps prevent diseases like cancer, that cannot survive in an alkaline environment. Thus it helps in fighting various types of cancer such as prostate and breast cancer.
- Aids in digestion: It is good for the well-being of the digestive system due to its high potassium levels. It helps in keeping the digestive system in good shape, prevents stomach infections and is considered to be particularly useful in treating the problem of constipation.
- Prevents heart diseases: It also prevents heart diseases and stroke as it helps decrease the levels of unhealthy or cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Helps in reducing weight: As sugarcane juice reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body and has natural sugars, it helps in reducing weight. It is high in soluble fibre which aids in shedding weight.
- Good for treating diabetes: Sugarcane is sweet in taste and is full of natural sweeteners, which have a low glycemic index (GI), hence it works very well for diabetic patients.
- Clears skin imperfections: When it comes to healthy skin, Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) which are part of the natural constituents of sugarcane juice, are supposed to have a lot of benefits. They fight acne, reduce blemishes, prevent ageing and help in keeping the skin hydrated. Just apply sugarcane juice to your skin and let it dry or add it to your favourite face mask and scrub, and your skin will look radiant and clean.